The Best Automatic Self-Cleaning Litter Box
Have you ever heard of the phenomenon called “phantom poop?” If you haven’t, do not worry – I just made it up. How I define “phantom poop” is when you swear you smell poop, so much so that you already armed yourself with the proper tools necessary to clean the poop, but you check your baby’s diaper and… NOTHING! Don’t worry, you are not going crazy. Moms often experience “phantom poop” because we change diapers all day long, and the smell eventually gets stuck in our noses. Even when there is no poop, our brains remember the smell and are able to recreate it through our memories. And since we are constantly worried about our little ones’ bowel movements, we often smell poop where there is none.
With 2 toddlers, a dog, and a cat, I am smelling REAL poop all day long. One of the biggest problems we were experiencing was our cat’s litter box. First of all, I hate scooping litter. It’s so difficult to reach all the corners and edges of the litter box to make sure you get all the clumps, and the clumps always get stuck on the scooper. Litter gets everywhere, and no matter how often I scoop, the infamous cat-pee smell persists. We have our litter box in the powder room downstairs, and it’s always embarrassing when the guests come over to have a smelly litter box. Here is a picture of our disgusting scooper after a week of use:
Imagine my excitement when I found out about the Litter-Robot, an automatic self-cleaning litter box! A machine that eliminates the need for scooping litter and cat pee and poop smell? Yes please!
I received the Litter-Robot in exchange for writing an honest review on the blog. As always all opinion are 100% my own. This post may contain affiliate links, for more info click here.
How does it work?
- The cat does its business in the Litter-Robot.
- The Litter-Robot waits 7 minutes to allow the waste to clump
- The globe slowly rotates and the patented sifting system separates the clean litter from the dirty litter.
- The soiled clumps drop into the waste drawer below.
- The globe turns back to its original position and the clean litter returns to the bin.
- When the waste drawer is full, open the drawer and take out the bag and toss it!
- Add litter as needed.
So simple, yet so ingenious at the same time! If you are more of a visual person, check out my video to watch it in action!
- No more scooping! Seriously, our scooper now sits in the corner of our garage, collecting dust. With the patented litter-sifting system, the Litter-Robot is reliable and consistently works for every use. I will caution you that the Litter-Robot does need some spot cleaning here and there as some poop may smear inside the globe, but all it takes is some wet paper towel to wipe off the few dirty spots about once a month and that’s it. Less than a couple of minutes a month of cleaning versus scooping every day? Definitely a win in my book.
- No special waste bags needed. One of my biggest concerns when I learned about the Litter-Robot was whether or not I would need to buy special waste bags just for it. I spend a pretty penny on special waste bags for the diaper pails, and I did not want to shell out more money to purchase more bags. Good news – you can use a variety of liners for the Litter-Robot, including inexpensive 10- or 13-gallon kitchen garbage bags, or larger plastic grocery bags.
- Compatible with a variety of clumping litter. Yup, on top of no special bags, the Litter-Robot allows you to use fine clumping litter of your choice!
- No more smelly litter box. Hallelujah! The concealed waste drawer with carbon filter system works wonders when it comes to containing the litter box odor. I can literally stand next to it after not emptying the waste drawer for 5 days and smell nothing. Amazing!
- Uses less litter. With the efficient sifting system that removes only the clumps, I would estimate the Litter-Robot decreases my litter consumption by about 40%. It sounds like a lot … because it is! And less litter usage means more money in my wallet!
- 18-month full warranty. Litter-Robot gives you 1.5 years of warranty. If you have any issues with the machine during the warranty period, just ship it to Litter-Robot and they will repair it at no charge!
- 90-day money-back guarantee. Let’s tell it like it is … the Litter-Robot is not cheap. Therefore, I can see people hesitating to buy it because they fear that it will not work or that their cats won’t like it. Litter-Robot offers you 90 days to try the Litter-Robot and if you are not satisfied for any reason, you can send it back for a refund.
- Safe for the cats. The Litter-Robot has a safety mechanism that prevents the machine from operating when a cat is inside, so you don’t have to worry about your cat getting stuck inside the globe while it’s rotating. There is nothing inside the globe that could harm the cat.
- Easy transition. My cat had no problem transitioning from her old litter box to the Litter-Robot. The cleaning cycle makes her stand up and stare at the Litter-Robot like it’s an alien spaceship, but she has no problem going in it while it’s not moving.
- Entertainment for the kids. My kids LOVE to watch the Litter-Robot in action. Every time they hear the cleaning cycle come on, they run to watch it. As for me? I am happy to get a break from the kids, even if it’s just for a minute.
What does “with Connect” mean?
The Litter-Robot III Open Air with Connect has WiFi capabilities so that you can remotely monitor and control the machine. I can track the waste drawer level so I know when to empty it, and it alerts me every time my cat goes to the bathroom. This way, if my cat goes to pee or poop more often than usual, or if she goes a day without going to the bathroom, I would know something is probably wrong with her health. Moreover, I can adjust the wait time, activate the night light, and other settings right from my phone.
I never thought I would own something like the Litter-Robot, but now that I have it, I can’t imagine life without it! It really is a life-saver for busy moms like me who just cannot deal with any more poop. Mommy’s happy, which means the kids are happy, and our cat is extra happy because now she has a clean litter box every time nature calls!
Want to get a Litter-Robot for your cat?
For a limited time, you can get $25 off your purchase of Litter-Robot! Stop scooping today! Click here for more details.