20 Things My Toddlers Should be Thankful for this Thanksgiving
Coming from Taiwan, my family never really caught on to the spirit of Thanksgiving. Sure, we get together with family and celebrate by sharing a big dinner together. However, I don’t think we really embrace giving thanks as part of the holiday. In an effort to educate my toddlers about Thanksgiving and teach them to be grateful in general, I have come up with a list of things I am thankful for as well as a list of things my kids SHOULD be thankful for this Thanksgiving.
I am thankful for:
1. Boobs, for being glorious milk-producing factories that feed my children and for their magical sleep-inducing powers.
2. Toilet paper, for keeping the kids amused so I can finish going to the bathroom.
3. Water, because the kids manage to get dirt and sand all over the place, including in their ears and pants.
4. Food pouches, the only food that manages to keep both of my toddlers quiet for longer than a few seconds while they devour the contents.
5. Diapers, because sometimes the bathroom is just too far and we would have had huge messes on our hands.
6. Our dog, for eating everything my toddlers drop on the ground.
7. My parents and in-laws, for offering to babysit for free and letting mommy have a little time to sleep.
8. Laundry machines…didn’t I already mention toddlers are dirty?
9. Santa, for giving the kids a reason to be good for at least one month out of the year.
10. Books, for giving mommy a break physically from wrangling kids who are more often than not jumping off the walls.
11. Bed, because mommy needs to rest after so many sleepless nights, even if it’s only for a few minutes.
12. Vacuums, to keep the carpet clean after the kids trek sand all over the place.
13. The couch, where mommy can sit and watch the kids ransack the entire first floor (and be just too tired to care).
14. The blender, for mornings when there is no time to cook breakfast and the kids need nutrients on-the-go.
15. The garbage truck, for amusing my kids for hours every week just for doing its job.
16. My iPhone, for giving me the ability to snap a quick picture of my kids while researching different causes of illnesses and for keeping me company during long nursing sessions in middle of the night.
17. Playdates, because sometimes us mommies need to actually interact with another adult to stay sane, and cashiers at grocery stores do not count.
18. My Instant Pot, because some days I can’t imagine making meals without the ability to just throw food in a pot, press some buttons, and leave it alone to cook while I tend to my children.
19. My husband, for being the kids’ favorite so I can at least shower in peace once in a while, and making it possible for me to stay at home with the kids due to all his hard work.
20. My kids, because just a hug or a kiss from them can make this mommy’s heart explode with love.
If my toddlers were to write a list of things they are thankful for, I would imagine it would look like this:
1. Boobs, because they produce yummy breastmilk, are nice to cuddle with, and can somehow make boo-boo’s hurt less.
2. Toilet paper, so that mommy can wipe my butt after going to #2.
3. Water, because what could be more exciting than splashing and getting wet?
4. Food pouches, because they are yummy and fun to suck and squeeze, especially when I squeeze them so hard that the puree flies all over the place!
5. Diapers, because who wants to stop playing just to go to the bathroom?
6. Our dog, for her fun wagging tail and fluffy ears that I just love to pull and flick. Plus, they are soooooo soft…
7. Grandparents, because they bring lots of toys and let us do fun stuff that mommy and daddy may not let us do when they are not here.
8. Laundry machines, because they spin the clothes round and round and round…
9. Santa, for all the awesome presents and toys that I just MUST have!
10. Books, because they are so colorful and fun to read!
11. Bed, because 5 little monkeys, jumping on the bed…
12. Vacuums, because they are so fun to push around and they make such soothing sounds!
13. The couch, because the cushions can be used to build a fort! Or a place to land on after I jump off the couch and give mommy a heart attack!
14. The blender, because it has many buttons to press and magically transforms fruits into tasty smoothies.
15. The garbage truck, because what other vehicles can pick up huge trash bins, dump all the trash out, and then put back the bins all with giant claws?
16. Mommy’s iPhone, for recording everything I do. Isn’t watching yourself on video the best?
17. Playdates, so I can get together with my friends and scream and run around like psychos and interrupt mommy talking to her friends as much as possible.
18. The machine that mommy uses to cook delicious mac & cheese (other food, eh, depends on my mood).
19. DADDY! Because he is DADDY! There is no one else in the whole wide world who is cooler, more fun, more handsome, stronger, faster, and more loving…DADDY IS THE BEST! Okay wait maybe ice cream is the best…NO DADDY IS!
20. My mommy, because she feeds us and plays with us, and most of all, she loves us so very very much. And daddy has to work so what can you do?
What are you and your kids thankful for this Thanksgiving?