Photo by Juls Megill Photography
Hello, my name is Betty.
I am a 34-year old mom living with my husband Marc, our beautiful daughter Zoe, and our handsome son Alex in SoCal. The 5th member of the Terrific Five is our dog, Bliss, who joined our family when I was 5 months pregnant with Alex. She was our baby before the kids were born, and she is a perfect fur-sister to our kids now.
Before kids, I never thought that I would be a stay-at-home mom. I went to graduate school and was determined to work my way up the corporate ladder no matter what it takes. Then my son was born, and my whole life changed.
Instead of creating Excel spreadsheets, I spend my days trying to keep my little ones alive. I spend any free time I have looking at pins on Pinterest, trying to find recipes that are toddler-friendly and activities that actually keep my kids’ attention for more than 5 minutes. I love to cook, but cooking while holding a baby in one arm is definitely a challenge. Oh, and it turns out that keeping my kids TV-free and sugar-free is close to impossible. Working out? Does chasing after my kids count?
I created The Terrific Five blog as a way for me to capture memories with our children. Parenthood is chaotic and emotionally exhausting; however, it’s also wonderful and perfect in its own way, and I would not trade it for the world. It’s also nothing like what we expected – No matter how many websites and books we read, parenthood hits us like a truck, going 90 miles per hour, that backs up and runs us over again. I can’t count the number of hours I spent reading websites (mostly during the wee hours of the night while breastfeeding) on colic, rashes, potty training, discipline… Pretty much everything under the sun that I could think of that pertains to parenting my kids. I want to share with other parenting tips and recommendations derived from my research and my experiences, and hopefully provide some laughter along the way.
Here are some fun facts about me:
- My favorite food is pizza. At one point after giving birth to my son, I had Costco pizza for 4 weeks in a row. Every, single day.
- My birth name is Yi-Jiun Lin. My English teacher in Taiwan named me Ryan by picking a random name out of a list. I couldn’t pronounce Ryan so I asked my teacher to pick out another name – And that’s how I ended up with Betty.
- Before pregnancy, Marc and I made ice cream every week and ate ice cream every day with magic shell for dessert after dinner.
- My favorite movie is The Rock. Loved me some Sean Connery.
- I have watched all episodes of Friends at least 50 times. This is because I didn’t have cable or Netflix for a few years and I only had the Friends DVD collection to watch.
- I haven’t had any caffeine since 2013, when I got pregnant with Alex.
- I do not drink wine or any other alcoholic beverages.